Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Flying Start


Hello,
I started this blog in Jason Ohler´s technology course. I learned how to post pictures on my blog, which is great because I love taking pictures and sharing them with others. This opportunity will help me get back into creative writing. I also think it will be a great way to reflect on my work as an Instructional Coach in rural Alaska.

I am on a new adventure, albeit reluctantly. I wanted to stay in the classroom in the village. I loved teaching ESL in the primary grades, Kinder through 3rd grade, but the funding was cut for the program. In my new job, I am training teachers to teach with a program called SIOP, Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol.  Though I knew it would be challenging, I strongly believe in the program and wanted to share the joys of raising student achievement with other teachers. I felt that I could learn a lot and the it would be rewarding to share what I had learned about SIOP through my coursework at Stanford through the CLAD program (Culture, Language and Academic Development).

I have gotten off to a flying start, busy with training, and getting to know teachers at the schools I work with. I am finally feeling like I have a chance to breath and sleep. Tomorrow I will be busily packing and then running over to the gravel runway, now covered with snow, to jump on another small plane, probably a Cesna 207, that will take me across the tundra, to Bethel where I will spend two days scoring 6-Trait writing assessments with other ten SIOP coaches.

The schedule of a coach keeps me very busy; it seems like I go from one training to school, and then back on the plane again. What about all that work I promised I would do this week? I still have not finished doing things for teachers that I had promised them. What about cleaning, packing and catching up on my own life? It’s after nine p.m. and I have not cooked dinner yet, much less eaten. Nor have I looked at my mile-long "To-do" list.

Getting caught up? It’s not going to happen. Not today, not tomorrow. Perhaps, next year, in 2010. It’s all in the life of an instructional coach in Western Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment